On Saturday 8 October 2022 we will be celebrating the African penguin – by "waddling” through the V&A Waterfront precinct in honour of International African Penguin Awareness Day. You and your rookery (that’s the collective noun for penguins, by the way) are invited to join us for a light amble around South Africa’s favourite harbour-side attraction to see the sights and raise awareness for this endemic, but severely endangered species. Let's create awareness about the plight of the penguin together!
Please meet us at the entrance to the Two Oceans Aquarium at 09h30 on 8 October 2022. The easy <3km walk will start here at the Aquarium and follow a safe walking route around the V&A Waterfront. We'll depart the Aquarium at 10h00 at the latest once the group has assembled. The slow stroll should take about an hour, which means you’ll be back in time for the African penguins’ 11h30 feeding time at the Penguin Exhibit – always fun and informative*.
*Please note, entrance into the Aquarium after the waddle is for your own account. Members enter for free, as always.
Wear your best black and white to win!
Come dressed in your most creative black and white and you will be entered into a lucky draw. Up for grabs is a Penguin Experience for two people (appropriate for ages 8 and up) worth R1 570. Terms and conditions apply.
A face painter will also be on-site for waddlers big and small to get in theme before the big walk. If you miss her, you and your kids can get your face painted for free inside the Aquarium if you visit later during the day (in the I&J Children's Play Centre).-->
Hungry penguins and Puppet Stories
If you choose to visit the Two Oceans Aquarium after the waddle and say "hello" to Ayoba, Laduma and the colony of African penguins in person, be sure to catch them at feeding time - at 11h30 and 14h30.
You can also catch the Keep The Beach Clean puppet show, featuring Peter the Penguin, at 10h30, 13h30 and 15h00, in the I&J Children's Play Centre. The Play Centre staff will also be offering fun ocean-themed crafts for the little ones throughout the day!
Why are we waddling?
African penguins are in trouble. At their current rate of decline, it is estimated that with will be functionally extinct by 2035. Without immediate awareness, intervention and public support - in just seven short years we may never see another penguin again on South Africa's coast. If a future without penguins sounds bleak to you - join us in taking action.
Here's the situation:
- Currently, there are only 10 400 breeding pairs of African penguins left, split among 28 colonies.
- Just 100 years ago, single colonies often had over 1 million penguins.
- At the current rate, there will not be enough penguins left to support their species, and they will be functionally extinct within 10-20 years.
Fortunately, incredible organisations like BirdLife South Africa and SANCCOB are working tirelessly to save these birds and implement novel solutions to prevent their extinction - but they can only accomplish these goals with your support.
Competition terms and conditions
- All images of participants dressed in black and white may be used on the Aquarium’s website and associated digital platforms.
- Entries close after the walk on Saturday 8 October 2022.
- Winner will be notified on Tuesday 11 October 2022.
- To be entered into the lucky draw, you must wear black and white to the Aquarium at the end of the walk on 8 October and you must sign the registration sheet.
- Please note the Penguin Experience is only valid for ages 8 and up.
- Representatives of the Two Oceans Aquarium will pick the winner at random from eligible entries.
- Prizes are non-transferable and cannot be exchanged.
- Prizes must be redeemed within three months of the date of issue.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winners may be required to participate in a photo-taking session during the issuing of the prize. Pictures may be used online.
- Entry into the competition and acceptance of any prize shall constitute consent on the winner's part to allow the use of the winner's name, image, voice and/or likeness by the Two Oceans Aquarium for editorial, advertising, promotional, marketing and/or other purposes without further compensation except where prohibited by law.
- This competition is not open to Two Oceans Aquarium staff or volunteers and their families.
- Anyone who has won a competition or promotion through the Two Oceans Aquarium in the last six months is not eligible to win (but is welcome to dress up in black and white for fun).