For more information click here.
Meet our rockhopper penguins
Get up close and personal with the adorable northern rockhopper penguins of the Two Oceans Aquarium.
You can meet our too-cute rescue rockies through an awesome interactive Penguin Experience. No more than two people will join our bird keeper for an informative, fun and exhilarating face-to-face encounter with our feathered friends. If you are lucky, one or two of them might decide to hop onto your lap. Our trained bird keepers are on hand to ensure that all guidelines are followed.
These penguins are always free to choose whether they want to interact with participants or not. They are not trained and we do not reward them in any way for interacting if they do choose to. They can also choose to move away from the participants either by hopping into the water or moving away to another part of the exhibit.
The rockhopper penguins at the Two Oceans Aquarium were found stranded on southern Cape beaches and were rehabilitated by the Southern African Foundation for the Conservation of Coastal Birds (SANCCOB) before being donated to us. They cannot be released because of the risk of introducing diseases into wild populations.
The Penguin Experience is suitable for children aged 8 and up, and adults.
|Child between 8 and 17 years||R520|
|Child member (8 and 17 years)||R390|
- This fee includes your general entry ticket to the Aquarium
- R100 of this fee will go towards our conservation fund
When and where?
Experiences happen Tuesdays to Sundays at 10h45 in the Penguin Pool at the Two Oceans Aquarium.
A Penguin Experience lasts roughly 30 minutes – although the entire process from welcoming and saying goodbye will last up to 90 minutes.
If your Penguin Experience is cancelled more than 24 hours before the time, 50% of the fee will be refunded.
Should the Penguin Experience be cancelled less than 24 hours before the time or on the day of the encounter, the participant will forfeit the entire amount.
Should the participant want to postpone his or her Penguin Experience for another day, there is no penalty fee if the postponement is requested more than 24 hours in advance.
Should the participant want to postpone his or her Penguin Experience within 24 hours, this will be regarded as a cancellation.
Terms & conditions
- Children must be 8 years and older in order to participate in this experience.
- Payment is required at least 48 hours prior to secure your booking.
- A maximum of 2 accompanying visitors may pay the day ticket entrance rate either at the ticket office or online.
- Please report to the Visitor Centre 30 minutes before the booked time, i.e. 12h00 for 12h30.
- Failure to arrive for your Experience will result in cancellation and you will be liable for the full fee.
- Should you cancel your Experience 48 hours prior to the time, 90% of the fee will be refunded. Please be advised that the refund process may take 5 to 10 working days.
- Should you cancel your Experience on the day, you will forfeit the entire fee. No refund will be given, unless it’s due to medical reasons and you can provide proof, e.g. a medical certificate.
- Should you wish to postpone your Experience for another day, please do so at least 24 hours in advance. If you postpone on the day of the booking, you will be charged a penalty fee of 50% of the experience fee. If the reason to postpone is medical and happened on the day of the booking, there will be no penalty fee, provided you have proof.