Meet our rockhopper penguins
Get up close and personal with the adorable northern rockhopper penguins of the Two Oceans Aquarium.
You can meet our too-cute rescue rockies through an awesome interactive Penguin Experience. No more than two people will join our bird keeper for an informative, fun and exhilarating face-to-face encounter with our feathered friends. If you are lucky, one or two of them might decide to hop onto your lap. Our trained bird keepers are on hand to ensure that all guidelines are followed.
These penguins are always free to choose whether they want to interact with participants or not. They are not trained and we do not reward them in any way for interacting if they do choose to. They can also choose to move away from the participants either by hopping into the water or moving away to another part of the exhibit.
The rockhopper penguins at the Two Oceans Aquarium were found stranded on southern Cape beaches and were rehabilitated by the Southern African Foundation for the Conservation of Coastal Birds (SANCCOB) before being donated to us. They cannot be released because of the risk of introducing diseases into wild populations.
The Penguin Experience is suitable for children aged 8 and up, and adults.
|Child between 8 and 17 years||R455|
|Child member (8 and 17 years)||R342|
- R100 of this fee will go towards our conservation fund
When and where?
Experiences happen Tuesdays to Sundays at 10h45 in the Penguin Pool at the Two Oceans Aquarium.
A Penguin Experience lasts roughly 30 minutes – although the entire process from welcoming and saying goodbye will last up to 90 minutes.
Please email the Visitor Centre on firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on +27 (0)21 418 3823 to book your encounter! Bookings and payment must be made at least one day in advance and are subject to availability.
If your Penguin Experience is cancelled more than 24 hours before the time, 50% of the fee will be refunded.
Should the Penguin Experience be cancelled less than 24 hours before the time or on the day of the encounter, the participant will forfeit the entire amount.
Should the participant want to postpone his or her Penguin Experience for another day, there is no penalty fee if the postponement is requested more than 24 hours in advance.
Should the participant want to postpone his or her Penguin Experience within 24 hours, this will be regarded as a cancellation.
Terms & conditions
- For safety reasons, Penguin Experience participants must be at least 8 years old.
- Participants, or their legal guardians, will be expected to complete an indemnity form prior to the Penguin Experience.
- When reporting for a Penguin Experience, participants must report to the Visitor Centre at least 15 minutes before your booked timeslot.
- Failing to report on time for your Penguin Experience will result in cancellation without a refund.
- The Aquarium entrance fee for Penguin Experience participants is included in the Ocean Experience fee.
- Visitors accompanying the Penguin Experience participant, but not participating in the Ocean Experience themselves, must pay Aquarium entry fees. Adult guardians accompanying a child participating in the Penguin Experience may pay the reduced student rate for Aquarium entry.
- Accompanying visitors may not enter the Experience area, but will be able to take photographs from outside.