Not only is the Two Oceans Aquarium known for its amazing exhibits, it is also renowned for its rich, immersive, multi-media story-telling capabilities, and has through the years raised awareness and garnered support among its 116 000 followers on social media, and over 30 000 email newsletter subscribers, which includes our members, the media, partners, other environmental organisations, and general public. The Aquarium’s website is a portal into the ocean and provides in-depth resources to inspire and satisfy curious minds.
While the Aquarium will continue to use its social media and website to bring you amazing ocean-related content and news about the Aquarium itself – its exhibits, animals, people, and special events and projects, the Aquarium Foundation will focus more on education, including online education programmes such as the recent and upcoming online education courses, conservation initiatives such as the turtle rescue, rehabilitation and release programme, and research being conducted in the Aquarium or using the Aquarium as a live laboratory of sorts to study marine life.
As a registered non-profit and public benefit organisation, the activities of the Aquarium Foundation will benefit not just the greater public, but also the historically disadvantaged with regards to educational opportunities and access to marine education and conservation awareness. Some of the public benefit activities include:
- Development of educational materials and programmes that are aligned with the school curriculum. These programmes will address needs in education provision, teaching, training and curriculum support in the topics of marine science and ocean literacy.
- Continued environmental education through outreach programmes, emphasising visits to under-resourced schools in the Western Cape.
- The Aquarium Foundation will continue offering onsite enrichment courses, some of which are fully sponsored by our very supporting donors and partners, and thus at no cost to the learners.
- Expanded research projects on endangered sea turtles and the development of presentations and articles for journal publications.
- Rescue and rehabilitation of threatened and protected species in need and provide assistance to welfare organisations in the prevention of ill-treatment of animals.
- Collaboration with higher education institutes and research institutes in the Western Cape to conduct scientific research in areas of marine biology and oceanography.
- Developing education and training programmes relating to environmental awareness, greening, clean-ups and sustainable development projects.
Supporters of the Two Oceans Aquarium are encouraged to also follow the Foundation online:
The Two Oceans Aquarium Foundation is a registered Non-Profit and Public Benefit Organisation operating on a not-for-profit basis.
All donations are tax-deductible under Section 18a. Reg #: IT000432/2017 (c); PBO #: 930061845; NPO #: 234-805-NPO
If you'd like to support the Two Oceans Aquarium Foundation in its mission, please contact:
- Tel: +27 (21) 814 4544
- Email: email@example.com