The Marine Science Explorer course is a content-packed offering of the Two Oceans Aquarium Foundation's Marine Science Academy. This course is the ideal opportunity for environmentally-minded Grade 9 learners who love a hands-on lesson to learn about what goes into being a marine biologist, and be introduced to what a career in marine science is all about.
Applications are now open for the 2020 Marine Science Explorer course for Grade 9 learners.
The purpose of this course is to enrich participating children's understanding of marine life, provide basic environmental and oceanographical information and to supplement the school curriculum. Theory mixed with hands-on activities will specifically expose students to marine research and the scientific method. This approach to marine sciences seeks to guide Grade 9s in their choice of Grade 10 subjects and to assist those keen on pursuing a career in this field.
To apply, please download the application form and complete all instructions - to make things easier, you can now submit a short motivational video recorded on your phone, instead of submitting an essay. If you have any queries please email email@example.com or call 021 814 4555 for more information.
- Course dates: 23 to 27 March 2020
- Application deadline: 21 February 2020
There are many ways your children can get involved in environmental education opportunities at the Aquarium. Here are a few of the most popular options:
- School classes, youth groups and other organisations can book a classroom visit that fits in with your curriculum:
- Pre-school: A wide range of interactive Puppet Stories, from I Love Turtles to a Water Cycle Adventure.
- Grade 1-3: Discover underwater wonders and learn about different kinds of fish.
- Grade 4-6: Fun lessons with topics from fish anatomy and marine conservation to the close relatives of sharks.
- Grade 7-9: Lessons from water conservation to rocky shore ecology.
- Grade 10-12: Exciting topics from sharks and ecotourism to biodiversity and anatomy.
- Individual children of all ages can take part in FREE courses from our Marine Science Academy:
- Grade 5 & 6: Exciting new course coming soon!
- Grade 7: Learn Smart Living and learn how our lives and the environment interact
- Grade 8: Become a Marine Science Discoverer if you're in grade 8 and learn about careers in ocean science.
- Grade 9: Become Marine Science Explorers - time to get hands-on with ocean life.
- Grade 10, 11 & 12:
- Get your foot in the door as an Aquarium volunteer!
- FET Zoology and Oceanography courses - a stepping stone into marine science tertiary studies.
- If you can't get to the Aquarium, we'll come to you!
- A fully equipped mobile aquarium, Oceans in Motion, is on the road - bringing the ocean's wonders and lessons to previously disadvantages schools in the Cape Town area.
- The Smart Living outreach programme engages with learners on key environmental issues such as energy, water, waste and protecting biodiversity.
- The mobile puppet show is ready to deliver lessons to your ECD centre.
If you would like to make a booking for your class, get involved in one of the above courses or are an adult looking for training opportunities or to take part in our job shadowing programme, please visit our Environmental Education Centre portal for more information and the relevant contact details.