The Two Oceans Aquarium Foundation's collaboration with Christel House started in 2020, in response to the national lockdown, as online sessions of our Junior Biologist and Smart Living courses for their Grade 5 and 6 learners. This shift to online teaching was made possible thanks to sponsorship from AVI.
In 2021, the Foundation expanded its offering to Christel House, by including taking mobile puppet shows to the Grade 1 to 3 learners, as well as offering our Marine Science Explorer courses to Grade 8 and 9s. This year we were able to continue this partnership, all thanks to AVI.
What activities did we do?
- Mobile puppet shows to Grade R to Grade 3 students - “It was such a pleasure visiting Christel House. The teachers were very welcoming on our arrival. The learners were well-mannered, and very focused during the presentation,” commented ECD Educator Jerome Stationway.
- Grade 4 learners had a lesson on “What is a Fish”, using a frozen sardine and PowerPoint to focus on key features of these animals. This was followed by a second lesson on "Life in Rock Pool"s which included examining live sea stars, sea urchins and sea anemones.
- Grade 5 learners had lessons from our Junior Biologist Course including Life in Rock pools, Turtles vs Tortoises, Fish and Sharks and Penguins.
- Grade 6 learners – Lessons from our Smart Living Course dealing with Biodiversity, Water, Energy and Waste management.
- Grade 7 leaners – Class lessons on Biodiversity and Rocky Shore Ecology
These activities are available to schools and ECD centres all over Cape Town. Learn more here.
What happens during Cape gannet fieldwork on Bird Island, Lambert’s Bay?In October and November, Marine Wildlife Management Programme (MWMP) Assistant, Martine Viljoen, assisted the Department of Forestry, Fisheries, and Environment (DFFE)’s Oceans and Coast team with the...
Hungry for more? Catch Feeding Times at the Aquarium!Have you ever wondered what and how we feed the incredible animals here at the Two Oceans Aquarium? Well, our daily Feeding Times are the perfect place to find out! One of the most popular activities ...
Everything our Marine Wildlife Management Team needs to disentangle Cape fur sealsThe Two Oceans Aquarium Foundation’s Marine Wildlife Management Programme (MWMP) regularly disentangles Cape fur seals in the V&A Waterfront precinct. Let's find out how!
Our birthday Trash Bash was the best yet!What better way to celebrate the Two Oceans Aquarium’s 28th birthday than with the last Trash Bash beach cleanup of 2023? On Saturday, 13 November, our incredible Aquarium family gathered on Muizenber...