Meet the Penguins
Meet the rockhopper penguins
Get up close and personal with the adorable northern rockhopper penguins of the Two Oceans Aquarium with our awesome, educational and interactive Penguin Experience!
What is the Penguin Experience?
A Penguin Experience is a chance for up to two people to join our bird keeper for an informative, fun and exhilarating face-to-face experience with our feathered friends. During this time, you’ll learn how the penguins are cared for at the Two Oceans Aquarium, discover their stories, and have the chance to meet the penguins behind the scenes.
- The Penguin Experience happens Tuesdays to Sundays at 10h30 on the roof of the Kelp Forest Exhibit, where the rockhopper penguins enjoy their morning swim at the Two Oceans Aquarium.
- The Penguin Experience is suited to adults and children aged 8 and up.
- Penguin Experience bookings may temporarily close if our birds are moulting, nesting or undergoing health checks - the team will advise you when making your booking.
- The rockhopper penguins at the Two Oceans Aquarium were found stranded on southern Cape beaches and rehabilitated by the Southern African Foundation for the Conservation of Coastal Birds (SANCCOB) before being donated to us. They cannot be released because of the risk of introducing diseases into wild populations.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at +27 (0)21 418 3823 with any queries you may have!
Did you know?
- Rockhopper penguins are native to islands in the southern Indian and Atlantic Oceans.
- The name “rockhopper” is earned by these penguins’ unique ability to climb cliffs and rocky shores on otherwise inaccessible islands.
- Their yellow crests help these penguins see each other when hunting underwater, and they can wave them around to attract mates on land.
- Penguins are technically dinosaurs. Yup.
Frequently asked questions
- How do I make a booking?
- Book your Penguin Experience online here.
- Alternatively, email email@example.com or call us at +27 (0)21 418 3823 to book your Penguin Experience or book in person at our Visitor Centre!
- Bookings and payment must be made at least 48 hours in advance and are subject to availability.
- Remember - Aquarium entry is included in the Penguin Experience booking fee for 1 or 2 participants. Anyone accompanying them will need to book a normal Aquarium ticket to enter.
- Please note: Penguin Experience bookings may temporarily close if our birds are moulting, nesting or undergoing health checks - the team will advise you when making your booking. We will always do our best to make your experience convenient - but we, too, are at the discretion of nature!
- What do I do when I arrive at the Aquarium?
- Please arrive on time.
- Report to the Visitor Centre.
- You will need to undergo a health screening when entering the Aquarium. Please see the next section for details.
- If you are not on time, our animal keepers may need to continue with the penguin's daily routine and your Experience will be cancelled and you will be liable for the entire fee.
- What happens during a Penguin Experience?
The rockhopper penguins are always free to choose whether they want to interact with participants or not. They are not trained and we do not reward them in any way for interacting if they do choose to. They can also choose to move away from the participants either by hopping into the water or moving away to another part of the exhibit. Despite this, you are certain to have the opportunity to get up close, and learn all about their quirks, charisma and conservation! A few things to remember:
- A Penguin Experience itself lasts roughly 30 minutes – although the entire process from signing in at the Aquarium to saying goodbye to the penguins can last up to 90 minutes.
- Experiences happen Tuesdays to Sundays at 10h30 on the roof of the Kelp Forest Exhibit, where the rockhopper penguins enjoy their morning swim at the Two Oceans Aquarium.
- We will supply you with towels to prevent you from getting too dirty if the penguins decide to investigate you, but we advise that you wear clothes that you don't mind getting dirty in or keep a change of clothing on hand if you have other plans after your Aquarium visit (just in case).
- Cameras are encouraged! Just keep in mind that your Penguin Experience will be next to an open water exhibit, so lanyards are advised to avoid dropping!
- Your Penguin Experience booking fee includes your general entry ticket to the Two Oceans Aquarium, giving you aquarium access for the entire day.
- Terms & Conditions
- Children must be 8 years and older to participate in this experience.
- Please wear comfortable clothes and soft-soled shoes appropriate for the beach (no high heels).
- Payment is required at least 24 hours before securing your booking.
- A maximum of 2 accompanying visitors may pay the day ticket entrance rate either at the ticket office or online.
- Report to the Visitor Centre at 10h30 to complete your indemnity form.
- Failure to arrive for your Experience will result in cancellation and you will be liable for the full fee.
Should you cancel your Experience 48 hours before the time, 90% of the fee will be refunded. Please be advised that the refund process may take 5 to 10 working days.
If you cancel your Experience on the day, you will forfeit the entire fee. No refund will be given, unless it’s due to medical reasons and you can provide proof, e.g. a medical certificate.
Should you wish to postpone your Experience for another day, please do so at least 24 hours in advance. If you postpone on the day of the booking, you will be charged a penalty fee of 50% of the experience fee. If the reason for the postponement is medical and happened on the day of the booking, there will be no penalty fee, provided you have proof.