Public conference on 27 April
Join us for a free public conference, exploring the mysteries of the ocean and learning from those who are committed to the ocean on a daily basis: scientists, associations, sailors, activists, start-ups.
Entry to the Aquarium is not included as part of this conference.
- Date: Wednesday 27 April 2022
- Time: 17h00 to 19h00
- Location: Two Oceans Aquarium (entry to the venue via the deck of the Auditorium)
First panel: How to make a concrete commitment to the preservation of the Ocean
- Thulani Makhalanyane - Scientist from the University of Pretoria
- Samuel Audrain - Captain of the boat Tara
- Leila Nefdt - Director of Sea the Bigger Picture and Science Communication Officer for MARIS (Marine and Antarctic Research for Innovation and Sustainability), University of Cape Town
- Calley Chateau-Cyster - research assistant for the Two Oceans Aquarium Foundation and Director of Sea the Bigger Picture
Second panel: How to raise awareness and engage the general public and younger generations for the Ocean
- Faine Loubser - Representative of the Sea Change Project
- Thando Mazomba - Ocean ambassador of ANCHOR
- Marissa Brink-Hull Ocean ambassador of ANCHOR
- Ruben Hazelzet - Representative of the startup Captain Fanplastic
- Clémentine Moulin - Director of logistics at the Tara Ocean Foundation
Visit the Tara in the V&A Waterfront
Meet the crew of the Tara at the shed on Jetty 2 in the V&A Waterfront. Tara's team of scientists and experts on all things ocean are eager to greet you with discussions on the life of the sailors and the operation of their boats, workshops to discover the invisible world of the ocean microbiome, workshops on the sources of ocean plastic pollution, and discussions with AtlantECO scientists.
These visitation slots take place on:
- Saturday 23 April from14h00 to 17h00 (register)
- Sunday 24 April from10h00 to 12h00 and from 14h00 to 17h00 (register)
- Wednesday 27 April from 14h00 to 17h00 (register)
In addition to these, the Tara crew are also carrying out a series of other events:
- Thursday 28 April (14h00 to 16h00): Ocean Culture Conference at UCT GSB
- Saturday 20 April: Planet Ocean documentary screening in the V&A Waterfront
- Saturday 30 April and Sunday 1 May: Ocean Forum in the V&A Waterfront
We look forward to hosting this incredible team of marine scientists and to learning about the fascinating things they've discovered about our ocean's microbiome.
What happens during Cape gannet fieldwork on Bird Island, Lambert’s Bay?In October and November, Marine Wildlife Management Programme (MWMP) Assistant, Martine Viljoen, assisted the Department of Forestry, Fisheries, and Environment (DFFE)’s Oceans and Coast team with the...
Hungry for more? Catch Feeding Times at the Aquarium!Have you ever wondered what and how we feed the incredible animals here at the Two Oceans Aquarium? Well, our daily Feeding Times are the perfect place to find out! One of the most popular activities ...