Every year, thousands of loggerhead and leatherback turtles hatch on the beaches of northern KwaZulu-Natal. They head to sea and are carried southward by the warm Agulhas Current. Facing high levels of predation and strong currents, many hatchlings find themselves off the Cape's south coast - stunned by the cold, weak and often injured. Many inevitably wash up and are stranded on our beaches.
The Two Oceans Aquarium conservation team has teamed up with coastal communities and organisations to create network points that are able to care for these hatchlings and to transport them to the Aquarium's turtle rescue, rehab and release centre.
List of Turtle Rescue Network contacts:
Organisations listed below have worked with our turtle team to ensure that their staff have the needed training and resources to help ensure a successful turtle rescue. If you find a turtle, please get in touch with the nearest network point.
- GENERAL: Contact Rescue Network Coordinator Tracy on 083 300 1663
- V&A Waterfront, Two Oceans Aquarium
- Helpdesk: 021 418 3823
- Strandfontein, NSRI
- Nicky: 082 496 0350 / 021 434 4011
- Muizenberg, Shark Spotters
- Nicole: 072 897 6583
- Sarah: 078 174 4244
- Hermanus, South African Shark Conservancy
- Bjorn: 079 765 8131
- Natalie: 084 090 3297
- Gansbaai, African Penguin and Seabird Sanctuary
- Brenda: 076 061 3114
- Rescue: 072 5987 117
- Gansbaai, Cape Stranding Network (for other animals, but can assist with turtles as needed)
- Meredith: 082 746 5579
- Struisbaai, NSRI Station 30
- 24-hour line: 082 990 5952
- Dorinda: 063 688 4760
- Rynard: 083 273 8234
- Witsand, Lower Breede River Conservancy Trust
- Office: 028 537 1296
- Craig: 082 537 1286
- Stilbaai, NSRI
- Leonie: 083 265 3515
- George: 083 650 7430
- Arrie: 082 990 5978
- Wilderness, George & Sedgefield, SANParks
- Jonathan: 084 714 7793
- Kynsna, SANParks
- Owen: 044 302 564 3/ 08 3650 8649
- Megan: 083 650 8649
- Plettenberg Bay, Plett Stranding Network
- Hotline: 079 463 4837
- Chanal: 072 317 2280
- Plettenberg Bay, Tenikwa Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre
- Manager on duty: 082 486 1515
What do I do if there is no network point nearby?
The ideal situation is for you to bring the hatchling directly to the Two Oceans Aquarium. If you are unable to do that, feel free to work with any organisation we are affiliated with to get the turtle here safely.
If your organisation would like to join the Turtle Rescue Network, please contact us so we can arrange for you to get the needed training and resources to be an effective part of this amazing team!