The Two Oceans Aquarium Ocean Experience is a brand new, unique opportunity to get a lot closer and a bit more personal with the animals of the I&J Ocean Exhibit. Engage with the friendly rescue turtles Bob and Sandy in our secure environment, and get a privileged look (with mask and snorkel) at the beautiful short-tail stingrays, the man-faced black musselcracker, giant guitarfish and the nearly 200 other fish swimming around this large-scale exhibit.
Our animals come first
At the Two Oceans Aquarium, the wellbeing of the animals is the number-one priority. Therefore, we do not bait animals, attract them with food, or force them to come to you in any way – instead, they are given the choice to approach our guests or to stay away. And, while we do not allow the touching of most animals, our turtles Bob and Sandy may be tickled on their carapaces if they allow it. The turtles and other animals are free to approach you (or not) in the non-threatening, familiar environment of the I&J Ocean Exhibit pool. They are not held or restrained in any way.
Please note: Because we do not force animals to come to us, we cannot guarantee interactions or experieces with any animals on the day. However, it is very likely that either Bob or Sandy, most likely both, will come up for a scratch.
What the Ocean Experience entails
You will be accompanied by our in-house experts who will share everything they know about the animals in our exhibit (and they know a lot) and the workings of the exhibit itself, all the while guiding your experience with the animals and answering any questions you might have. You'll also learn about the environmental threats faced by these animals, as well the turtle rehabiliation-and-release work that we do on an ongoing basis.
We provide a full snorkelling kit and wetsuit for this otherworldly experience, but don't worry - the water temperature seldom dips below 21 degrees Celcius.
No more than three people at a time can participate in an Ocean Experience but you do not need to be able to swim to take part. The entire Ocean Experience takes place in a shallow area - snorkelling deeper into the exhibit does not form part of the experience. As no scuba qualification is required, children as young as 8 years old can enjoy this fun, friendly and informative interaction in our warm water exhibit.
Ocean Experience details
|Child between 8 and 17 years||R455|
|Child member (8 and 17 years)||R342|
- R100 of this fee will go towards our conservation fund
What to bring? Swimming costume (towel, wetsuit and snorkeling kit will be provided) and an underwater camera if you have one.
When and where? Ocean Experiences happen Mondays to Fridays at 12h30 in the pool of the I&J Ocean Exhibit at the Two Oceans Aquarium. Please arrive no later than 12h00 (report at the Visitor Centre).
An Ocean Experience lasts roughly 30 minutes – but the entire process from welcoming and saying goodbye will last up to 90 minutes.
*Bookings available from 10 January 2018. Please email the Visitor Centre on email@example.com or call us on +27 (0)21 418 3823 to book your experience. Bookings and payment must be made at least one day in advance and are subject to availability.
- If you cancel your Ocean Experience more than 24 hours before the time, 50% of the fee will be refunded.
- Should the Ocean Experience be cancelled less than 24 hours before the time or on the day of the experience, the participant will forfeit the entire amount.
- Should the participant want to postpone his or her Ocean Experience for another day, there is no penalty fee if the postponement is requested more than 24 hours in advance.
- Should the participant want to postpone his or her Ocean Experience within 24 hours, this will be regarded as a cancellation.
Terms & conditions
- For safety reasons, Ocean Experience participants must be at least 8 years old.
- Participants, or their legal guardians, will be expected to complete an indemnity form prior to the Ocean Experience.
- When reporting for an Ocean Experience, participants must report to the Visitor Centre at least 15 minutes before your booked timeslot.
- Failing to report on time for your Ocean Experience will result in cancellation without a refund.
- The Aquarium entrance fee for Ocean Experience participants is included in the Ocean Experience fee.
- Visitors accompanying the Ocean Experience participant, but not participating in the Ocean Experience themselves, must pay Aquarium entry fees. Adult guardians accompanying a child participating in the Ocean Experience may pay the reduced student rate for Aquarium entry.
- Accompanying visitors may not enter the Experience area, but will be able to take photographs from outside.