The Two Oceans Aquarium Ocean Experience is a brand new, unique opportunity to get a lot closer and a bit more personal with the animals of the I&J Ocean Exhibit. Engage with the friendly rescue turtles in our secure environment, and get a privileged look (with mask and snorkel) at the beautiful short-tail stingrays, the man-faced black musselcracker, giant guitarfish and the nearly 200 other fish swimming around this large-scale exhibit.
Our animals come first
At the Two Oceans Aquarium, the wellbeing of the animals is the number-one priority. Therefore, we do not bait animals, attract them with food, or force them to come to you in any way – instead, they are given the choice to approach our guests or to stay away. And, while we do not allow the touching of most animals, our turtles Bob and Sandy may be tickled on their carapaces if they allow it. The turtles and other animals are free to approach you (or not) in the non-threatening, familiar environment of the I&J Ocean Exhibit pool. They are not held or restrained in any way.
Please note: Because we do not force animals to come to us, we cannot guarantee interactions or experiences with any animals on the day. However, it is very likely that Bob will come up for a scratch.
What the Ocean Experience entails
You will be accompanied by our in-house experts who will share everything they know about the animals in our exhibit (and they know a lot) and the workings of the exhibit itself, all the while guiding your experience with the animals and answering any questions you might have. You'll also learn about the environmental threats faced by these animals, as well the turtle rehabilitation-and-release work that we do on an ongoing basis.
We provide a full snorkelling kit and wetsuit for this otherworldly experience, but don't worry - the water temperature seldom dips below 21 degrees Celcius.
No more than three people at a time can participate in an Ocean Experience but you do not need to be able to swim to take part. The entire Ocean Experience takes place in a shallow area - snorkelling deeper into the exhibit does not form part of the experience. As no scuba qualification is required, children as young as 8 years old can enjoy this fun, friendly and informative interaction in our warm water exhibit.
Ocean Experience details
|Child between 8 and 17 years||R455|
|Child member (8 and 17 years)||R342|
- This fee includes your general entry ticket to the Aquarium
- R100 of this fee will go towards our conservation fund
What to bring? Swimming costume (towel, wetsuit and snorkelling kit will be provided) and an underwater camera if you have one.
When and where? Ocean Experiences happen Mondays to Fridays at 12h30 in the pool of the I&J Ocean Exhibit at the Two Oceans Aquarium. Please arrive no later than 12h00 (report at the Visitor Centre).
An Ocean Experience lasts roughly 30 minutes – but the entire process from welcoming and saying goodbye will last up to 90 minutes.
*Bookings available from 10 January 2018. Please email the Visitor Centre on email@example.com or call us on +27 (0)21 418 3823 to book your experience. Bookings and payment must be made at least one day in advance and are subject to availability.
- If you cancel your Ocean Experience more than 24 hours before the time, 50% of the fee will be refunded.
- Should the Ocean Experience be cancelled less than 24 hours before the time or on the day of the experience, the participant will forfeit the entire amount.
- Should the participant want to postpone his or her Ocean Experience for another day, there is no penalty fee if the postponement is requested more than 24 hours in advance.
- Should the participant want to postpone his or her Ocean Experience within 24 hours, this will be regarded as a cancellation.
Terms & conditions
- Children must be 8 years and older in order to participate in this experience.
- Payment is required at least 48 hours prior to secure your booking.
- A maximum of 2 accompanying visitors may pay the day ticket entrance rate either at the ticket office or online.
- Please report to the Visitor Centre 30 minutes before the booked time, i.e. 12h00 for 12h30.
- Failure to arrive for your Experience will result in cancellation and you will be liable for the full fee.
- Should you cancel your Experience 48 hours prior to the time, 90% of the fee will be refunded. Please be advised that the refund process may take 5 to 10 working days.
- Should you cancel your Experience on the day, you will forfeit the entire fee. No refund will be given, unless it’s due to medical reasons and you can provide proof, e.g. a medical certificate.
- Should you wish to postpone your Experience for another day, please do so at least 24 hours in advance. If you postpone on the day of the booking, you will be charged a penalty fee of 50% of the experience fee. If the reason to postpone is medical and happened on the day of the booking, there will be no penalty fee, provided you have proof.