This Plastic Free July, the Two Oceans Aquarium is teaming up with Waste-ED and you – our awesome supporters – for a competition like no other. By bringing in a fully stuffed ecobrick to the Aquarium this July, you will not only be helping Waste-ED build an outdoor classroom – from your ecobricks – at Levana Primary School in Lavender Hill, but you will also be entering yourself into a lucky draw to win an incredible prize worth R18 500!
Here's what you can win (and yes, this is ONE prize):
- A Two Oceans Aquarium family membership for 4 worth R1 270
- A Two Oceans Aquarium Ocean Experience and Penguin Experience for 4 worth R1 970
- A jam-packed single-use plastic-alternatives hamper including reusable straws (yay!) from Faithful to Nature worth R2 500
- A Hint Hunt experience for 6 at Super Park in the Watershed worth R1 680
- 3 crocheted bags from Plantastic worth R1 550
- A stunning Sealand Gear bag worth R1 545
- A V&A Waterfront voucher worth R1 000
- 2 Go-Eco bottles and 2 packs of KURO-Bō Koins from KURO-Bō worth R998
- 4 VIP gondola tickets from the Cape Wheel worth R900
- A set of Stasher storage bags - brand new to South Africa! - worth R880
- 4 Table Mountain Cableway tickets worth R868
- 4 pairs of Waddle On by Marts socks worth R600
- 4 City Sightseeing tickets worth R600
- 48 x 2-ply Güdsheets toilet paper worth R360
- An I&J voucher worth R300
- Two R150 vouchers from Nude Foods
What’s the point of this competition?
Waste-ED is all about building a future by turning what we see as waste into a valuable resource. Amongst other things, like running environmental education programme, this wonderful organisation builds structures out of ecobricks and natural materials. This year, they aim to build a functional classroom in association with Earthchild and the students of Levana Primary School in Lavendar Hill. This is a six-month project that starts with collecting and making 1 000 ecobricks - that's where you come in! This will remove about 500kg of non-recyclable waste from landfill.
But what is an ecobrick? Ecobricks are a dead simple way to turn your waste into green construction material and keep it out of our ocean and landfills. It’s a plastic bottle packed tightly with non-biodegradable waste. These bottles are then used as building materials to create sustainable homes, schools and furniture.
How to stuff your ecobrick
- Please read the below information very carefully - we reserve the right to refuse non-stuffed ecobricks.
- To be safe, make sure your ecobrick weighs 500g or more.
- We will be accepting ecobricks from 1 July only.
- Identify materials that are not compostable or recyclable by your local recycling facility
- Clean any dirty items by using leftover dishwashing water and leave to dry
- Stuff your clean and dry materials into any size or shape plastic bottle
- Compress it as tightly as you can with a stick – NB, this is very important!
- Keep doing this until you’ve got a bottle that is as hard as a brick – we will be squeezing your ecobrick to make sure it’s properly packed! If we can squeeze it, we can't accept it.
- Set yourself goals to phase out these items until you don't need to use the ecobrick anymore!
Want to win this amazing price? Then get stuffing!
How to enter
Once you’ve stuffed your ecobrick, bring it to the visitor centre at the Two Oceans Aquarium (from 1 July only – we won’t be accepting ecobricks any earlier) – your name will be added to the list for the lucky draw happening on 31 July. And yes, we will be squeezing your ecobricks to make sure they are properly packed! Remember, no biodegradable and no compostables, no food, ONLY things that can’t go to recycling.
Our amazing sponsors
Faithful to Nature, South Africa's most loved online health shop, was proudly founded in 2006. It's our mission to provide an ever-expanding range of alternative products so you can keep yourself, your family, and our Earth safer.
PlayDate SuperPark boasts over 10 000 squares feet of family fun. If you are between the age 0-100 and looking for adventure, fun and amazing food all under one roof then you need to come explore PlayDate SuperPark.
We aim to provide low income South Africans with the opportunity to earn additional income while cleaning up the environment and reducing plastic pollution ... one plastic bag at a time.
Rooted in Cape Town’s southern peninsula where mountains and ocean so vividly connect, Sealand was born with a conviction of keeping the environment front and centre alongside inspired functional designs and longevity. Smart material selection, compelling functionality and product durability are all palpable features of what they make.
The V&A Waterfront is a mixed-use development comprising residential and commercial property, hotels, retail stores, dining, leisure and entertainment facilities. Spanning 123 hectares, it’s a space where you can work, live, eat and play.
KURO-Bō Activated Charcoal not only purifies ordinary tap water, but does so in a way that is totally eco-friendly. In a world that produces millions of tonnes of plastic waste and carbon emissions every year, KURO-Bō is the only non-plastic water filter that is reusable, 100% recyclable and results in minimal Carbon Dioxide emissions.
The Cape Wheel is a giant observation wheel that offers a spectacular 360 panoramic view of Cape Town from the vibrant V&A Waterfront precinct.
Fun. Functional. Reusable. Responsible. Stasher’s 100% pure platinum food grade silicone bags are the healthy alternative to plastic. And just plain smarter.
The best views of Cape Town are from the Table Mountain Cableway, a unique and 87-year- old method of seeing the wonders of the city. Travel up to the summit of the majestic flat-topped mountain and be astounded by vistas of the Mother City, Robben Island and the Peninsula.
The initial sock collection consists of four complementary pair designs and introduces wearers to Rocky (at SANCCOB) and Ms Harold (at Two Oceans Aquarium). The ultimate gifts for penguin lovers and funky sock collectors alike.
The City Sightseeing open-top bus is undoubtedly the best way to go sightseeing in Cape Town. The red, hop on hop off buses run in Cape Town and Johannesburg seven days a week, 365 days a year, come rain or shine.
Güdsheet rolls are made from 60% sugar cane fibre and 40% FSC approved wood pulp to ensure sustainable afforestation. Each roll is individually hand-wrapped with love, in eco-friendly paper to promote hygiene, and packed in recycled boxes to replace plastic. For every box of Güdsheet Toilet Paper you buy, a portion of the proceeds goes towards improving water & sanitation in South Africa.
Founding partner I&J is the naming sponsor for the I&J Ocean Exhibit. Our Children’s Play Centre is also supported by I&J.
Nude Foods have created a plastic-free shopping experience for you and your family. This means filling your pantry with high-quality, sustainable, delicious foods and products, without filling your bin with wasteful packaging.
Competition terms and conditions
- All content sent to the Two Oceans Aquarium as entry into the competition may be used on the Aquarium’s website and associated digital platforms.
- Entries open at 09h00 on 1 July 2018
- Entries close at 18h00 on Tuesday 31 July 2018.
- The winner will be drawn on Tuesday 31 July 2018.
- The winner will be notified on Wednesday 1 August 2018.
- To be entered into the lucky draw, an ecobrick must be delivered to the Aquarium.
- One ecobrick qualifies for one entry.
- One individual winner will be chosen by lucky draw.
- Ocean and Penguin Experience participants must be 8 years or older
- Representatives of the Two Oceans Aquarium will pick the winner from eligible entries.
- Prizes are non-transferable.
- Prizes must be redeemed within three months of the date of issue.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winners may be required to participate in a photo-taking session during the issuing of the prize.
- Pictures may be posted online.
- Entry into the competition and acceptance of any prize shall constitute consent on the winner's part to allow the use of the winner's name, image, voice and/or likeness by the Two Oceans Aquarium for editorial, advertising, promotional, marketing and/or other purposes without further compensation except where prohibited by law.
- This competition is not open to Two Oceans Aquarium or volunteers and their families.
- Anyone who has won a competition or promotion through the Two Oceans Aquarium in the last six months is not eligible to win.