October is Marine Month and this week (9 to 15 October 2017) is National Marine Week. This year, the Two Oceans Aquarium and WWF-SASSI (Southern African Sustainable Seafood Initiative) are teaming up to highlight the importance of making informed choices when purchasing and consuming seafood.
Be sure to follow the Aquarium and SASSI on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram this week for daily important seafood updates, interactive conversations and competitions! We will be posting about sustainable seafood on our blog every day this week. The hashtag to use and follow is #MarineWeek.
“Teaming up with SASSI this Marine Week provides a great opportunity to take the sustainable seafood message beyond the Aquarium and to focus on informing and empowering consumers during this month,” says Two Oceans Aquarium Communications and Sustainability Manager Helen Lockhart. The more we are able to talk about these issues, the better. The more people know, the better informed choices they can make.”
Whether we live on the coast or in the Free State or Gauteng, as consumers we all have the power to drive change by choosing only sustainable seafood when shopping for our home or when frequenting our favourite seafood restaurant.
There’s an app for that
Out at a restaurant and not sure if what you're about to order is green-, orange- or red-listed? There's an app for that! Making the right choices around sustainable seafood has never been easier with SASSI’s colour-coded seafood guide. This traffic light system tells you whether you can eat something with a clear conscience (green), should think twice (orange) or avoid altogether (red). The guide is easily accessible through the SASSI app or SMS the name of the seafood to SASSI's FISHMS number (079 499 8795) to help you make your informed choice. You can also check out the SASSI list online.
“Consumers have the power to make a real difference by consciously making greener choices when it comes to the fish they eat,” says SASSI Manager Pavitray Pillay. “These decisions may seem small in isolation, but collectively they will make the difference as to whether we will be able to continue to enjoy seafood into the future.”
Changes to the SASSI list
Each year SASSI reviews the list and species are added, removed or have a status-change according to various species assessment that are done.
This year, one of the species that has changed from the green list to orange is none other than the humble sardine. Yes, we now have to think twice before we enjoy a plate of those little silver fish. Once thought to be abundant, it has become clear that fishing pressures on this species is far greater than realised.
Prawns, squid, red-eye round herring, panga
Other species that have changed on the list are prawns, which are now listed as either orange or red, depending on the fishing methods used; squid is now on the green and orange lists; red-eye round herring is on the green list and panga has moved from red to orange.
Join our #ChooseGreen Twitterchat on 12 October
On Thursday 12 October 2017 at 12h00 the Two Oceans Aquarium, SASSI, WWF South Africa and Miss Earth SA will be co-hosting a live Twitterchat all about choosing sustainable seafood. Please join us for an hour or so as we open up the questions and kick-start the conversation. The hashtag for this Twitterchat is #ChooseGreen – sea you there!
Win on Instagram!
Keep an eye on the Aquarium’s and SASSI’s Instagram accounts this week … We are giving away some fun prizes to two lucky, observant Instagrammers. Look out for the competition post, answer the question correctly and you will be entered into a draw to win either one set of double tickets to the Aquarium, or an awesome hamper from SASSI including an exclusive WWF-SASSI T-shirt, a reusable water bottle and a “pandalicious” apron…
Competition terms and conditions
- All content sent to the Two Oceans Aquarium as entry into the competition may be used on the Aquarium’s website and associated digital platforms.
- Entries close at 13h00 on Friday 13 October 2017.
- Winners will be notified via direct message on Instagram no later than Monday 16 October 2017 at 12h00.
- To be entered into the lucky draw, the question must be answered correctly and the entrant must follow both the @2oceansaquarium and @wwfsassi on Instagram.
- Two winner will be chosen by lucky draw.
- One winner will receive two complimentary day tickets to the Two Oceans Aquarium and the other winner will win the SASSI hamper including T-shirt, bottle and apron. The winners of each prize will be chosen randomly.
- Representatives of the Two Oceans Aquarium will pick the winners from eligible entries.
- Prizes are non-transferable.
- Prizes must be redeemed within three months of date of issue.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winners may be required to participate in a photo-taking session during the issuing of the prize.
- Pictures may be posted online.
- Entry into the competition and acceptance of any prize shall constitute consent on the winner's part to allow the use of the winner's name, image, voice and/or likeness by the Two Oceans Aquarium for editorial, advertising, promotional, marketing and/or other purposes without further compensation except where prohibited by law.
- This competition is not open to WWF South Africa and Aquarium staff or volunteers and their families.
- Anyone who has won a competition or promotion through the Aquarium in the last six months are not eligible to win.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Instagram