Applications are now open to the completely free Marine Sciences 101 Junior Biologist Course. Aimed at grade 6 learners, this is the ideal opportunity for youngsters with a keen interest in marine life and conservation to experience the world of marine biology.
This is one of many opportunities for young aspiring marine biologists to explore their passion for the ocean through the recently revamped Marine Sciences Academy of the Two Oceans Aquarium Education Foundation's Environmental Education Centre. These enrichment courses are offered for free to learners from all backgrounds during school holidays and weekends. This will be the second Junior Biologist Courses on offer in 2019 :
- Dates: 13, 20 & 27 July and 3 August 2019
- Application deadline: 12 June 2019
How to apply
How to apply
Our Junior Biologist course is a free, entry-level course of our Marine Sciences Academy introducing the marine life found along our coastline, as well as introductory concepts relating to coastal and ocean ecology and oceanography. Aimed at grade 6s, we are looking for youngsters with a keen interest in marine life and conservation. This three-day course introduces Marine life found along our coastline, as well as introductory concepts relating to coastal and ocean ecology and oceanography. The course is informative and interactive, with various outings included.
Each of the three days of the course takes the children on a different journey of discovery. The first day of the course takes place at the Two Oceans Aquarium, learning about how the oceans work, and doing some hands-on learning with a variety of echinoderm species.
The second day take the grades 6s out into the ecosystems of the Western Cape, exploring the plants of the Cape Floral Kingdom and the inhabitants of the Cape's rocky shores.
The third and final day of the Junior Biologist Course is all about marine biology - hands-on lessons about sharks and marine fish. During the course, topics crucial to the understanding of marine science, such as earth sciences, ecosystems, an introduction to plants and marine animals, and human impacts on the marine environment are covered.
What is the course all about
What is the course all about
To apply, please contact us on email@example.com for application forms or call 021 814 4555 for more information.
Other courses on offer
Ocean education for your kids
There are many ways your children can get involved in environmental education opportunities at the Aquarium. Here are a few of the most popular options:
- School classes, youth groups and other organisations can book a classroom visit that fits in with your curriculum:
- Pre-school: A wide range of interactive Puppet Stories, from I Love Turtles to a Water Cycle Adventure.
- Grade 1-3: Discover underwater wonders and learn about different kinds of fish.
- Grade 4-6: Fun lessons with topics from fish anatomy and marine conservation to the close relatives of sharks.
- Grade 7-9: Lessons from water conservation to rocky shore ecology.
- Grade 10-12: Exciting topics from sharks and ecotourism to biodiversity and anatomy.
- Individual children of all ages can take part in FREE courses from our Marine Science Academy:
- Grade 6: Become Junior Biologists and study marine life and conservation on our coast.
- Grade 7: Learn Smart Living and learn how our lives and the environment interact
- Grade 8: Become a Marine Science Discoverer if you're in grade 8 and learn about careers in ocean science.
- Grade 9: Become Marine Science Explorers - time to get hands-on with ocean life.
- Grade 10: Apply for our flagship Young Biologist course, and jumpstart a marine career.
- Grade 11 & 12: FET Zoology and Oceanography courses - a stepping stone into marine science tertiary studies.
- If you can't get to the Aquarium, we'll come to you!
- A fully equipped mobile aquarium, Oceans in Motion, is on the road - bringing the ocean's wonders and lessons to previously disadvantages schools in the Cape Town area.
- The Smart Living outreach programme engages with learners on key environmental issues such as energy, water, waste and protecting biodiversity.
If you would like to make a booking for your class, get involved in one of the above courses or are an adult looking for training opportunities or to take part in our job shadowing programme, please visit our Environmental Education Centre portal for more information and the relevant contact details.