In a continuous effort of offering new programmes to learners of all grades and backgrounds, the Two Oceans Aquarium will again be running courses for FET phase learners in 2020. The courses are offered, at no charge, to 50 grade 10s, 11s and 12s who show a keen interest in marine sciences and who may wish to pursue a career in this field. The purpose of this course is to provide important basic principles and terminology in the marine sciences, while also adding to their existing knowledge in the Physical Science and Life Science.
About the course
This introduction to Phytoplankton, Algae and Animal Phyla in South African coastal waters will equip participants with knowledge of core concepts and terminology that they will be expected to understand and apply in Tertiary Marine Sciences courses. Although this is a content loaded course, serving as a bridge to tertiary studies, there will be the opportunity to interact with and practically investigate as many of the organisms introduced, as possible.
How to apply
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for application forms or call 021 814 4555 for more information.
- Course dates: 23 to 27 March 2020
- Application deadline: 21 February 2020
- Download the application form and complete the application instructions listed therein.
Other courses on offer
There are many ways your children can get involved in environmental education opportunities at the Aquarium. Here are a few of the most popular options:
- School classes, youth groups and other organisations can book a classroom visit that fits in with your curriculum:
- Pre-school: A wide range of interactive Puppet Stories, from I Love Turtles to a Water Cycle Adventure.
- Grade 1-3: Discover underwater wonders and learn about different kinds of fish.
- Grade 4-6: Fun lessons with topics from fish anatomy and marine conservation to the close relatives of sharks.
- Grade 7-9: Lessons from water conservation to rocky shore ecology.
- Grade 10-12: Exciting topics from sharks and ecotourism to biodiversity and anatomy.
- Individual children of all ages can take part in FREE courses from our Marine Science Academy:
- Grade 5 & 6: Exciting new course coming soon!
- Grade 7: Learn Smart Living and learn how our lives and the environment interact
- Grade 8: Become a Marine Science Discoverer if you're in grade 8 and learn about careers in ocean science.
- Grade 9: Become Marine Science Explorers - time to get hands-on with ocean life.
- Grade 10, 11 & 12:
- Get your foot in the door as an Aquarium volunteer!
- FET Zoology and Oceanography courses - a stepping stone into marine science tertiary studies.
- If you can't get to the Aquarium, we'll come to you!
- A fully equipped mobile aquarium, Oceans in Motion, is on the road - bringing the ocean's wonders and lessons to previously disadvantages schools in the Cape Town area.
- The Smart Living outreach programme engages with learners on key environmental issues such as energy, water, waste and protecting biodiversity.
- The mobile puppet show is ready to deliver lessons to your ECD centre.
If you would like to make a booking for your class, get involved in one of the above courses or are an adult looking for training opportunities or to take part in our job shadowing programme, please visit our Environmental Education Centre portal for more information and the relevant contact details.