During the week of 17 to 21 June 2019, a class of 52 Grade 9 learners took part in the Marine Science Explorer course, a free course offered by the Two Oceans Aquarium Environmental Education Centre to South African learners that covers the core concepts of oceanography, marine biology and ecology and introduced learners to the processes of scientific inquiry.
This course was made possible by generous sponsorship from Averda, one of the incredible partners who make the free courses on offer at the Two Oceans Aquarium Education Foundation's Marine Sciences Academy possible.
Take a look at what the kids got up to:
Once again, we would like to thank Averda for making this opportunity possible, and for giving these learners a glimpse at what a career in ocean science might look like. We look forward to watching these 52 young people grow into passionate ocean ambassadors.
Thank for being a great class, and thank you again for making this all possible parents, Averda and our terrific teachers.
Ocean education for your kids
There are many ways your children can get involved in environmental education opportunities at the Aquarium. Here are a few of the most popular options:
- School classes, youth groups and other organisations can book a classroom visit that fits in with your curriculum:
- Pre-school: A wide range of interactive Puppet Stories, from I Love Turtles to a Water Cycle Adventure.
- Grade 1-3: Discover underwater wonders and learn about different kinds of fish.
- Grade 4-6: Fun lessons with topics from fish anatomy and marine conservation to the close relatives of sharks.
- Grade 7-9: Lessons from water conservation to rocky shore ecology.
- Grade 10-12: Exciting topics from sharks and ecotourism to biodiversity and anatomy.
- Individual children of all ages can take part in FREE courses from our Marine Science Academy:
- Grade 6: Become Junior Biologists and study marine life and conservation on our coast.
- Grade 7: Learn Smart Living and learn how our lives and the environment interact
- Grade 8: Become a Marine Science Discoverer if you're in Grade 8 and learn about careers in ocean science.
- Grade 9: Become Marine Science Explorers - time to get hands-on with ocean life.
- Grade 10: Apply for our flagship Young Biologist course, and jumpstart a marine career.
- Grade 11 & 12: FET Zoology and Oceanography courses - a stepping stone into marine science tertiary studies.
- If you can't get to the Aquarium, we'll come to you!
- A fully equipped mobile aquarium, Oceans in Motion, is on the road - bringing the ocean's wonders and lessons to previously disadvantages schools in the Cape Town area.
- The Smart Living outreach programme engages with learners on key environmental issues such as energy, water, waste and protecting biodiversity.
If you would like to make a booking for your class, get involved in one of the above courses or are an adult looking for training opportunities or to take part in our job shadowing programme, please visit our Environmental Education Centre portal for more information and the relevant contact details.