So, you’ve decided to become a member of the Two Oceans Aquarium. Imagine being asked if you would like a rehabilitated turtle with your annual pass? Or perhaps some pensioners joining your meander through the Aquarium? Or a plastic-free seal? Or how about some underprivileged children to watch the shark feed with you?
You might think the Aquarium had gone slightly mad if you were asked such questions. But did you know that an annual membership makes so much more possible than just a visit with the fish? When you sign up for an Aquarium membership, you are not only contributing to the operations of the Aquarium – which include caring for almost 8 000 individual animals and employing more than 150 people – but also supporting the Aquarium’s many educational and conservation initiatives:
- The rescue, rehabilitation and release of endangered sea turtles
- Rescue of Cape fur seals from life-threatening plastic nooses
- Contributions to scientific research on sharks, sunfish and so much more
- Free visits to nearly 20 000 children in one year who can’t afford to come to us, with our Oceans in Motion and Smart Living outreach education programmes
- Free entry for children with terminal diseases through Reach for a Dream
- Free entry for handicapped people and a discounted rate (student rate) for their essential helpers
- Free entry to Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) pensioners, organised in partnership with Cosatu
- Free entry for staff who work at other conservation-oriented facilities
- Donations of more than 300 complimentary tickets each year to other organisations to use as prizes for their fundraising efforts
- Campaigns such as “Rethink the Bag”, which encourages people to say no to single-use plastic bags
Having an annual membership means you are part of the magic that makes the Aquarium so special, and that you are making a real difference, every day, to the creatures in the sea and the people who love them and learn from them.
Of course, it also allows you unlimited access for an entire year, so you can come and go as you please and plan to participate in those activities that you find most rewarding. Like the thrice-daily puppet shows and the all-day arts 'n crafts in the I&J Children’s Play Centre; the twice-daily penguin feeds in the Penguin Exhibit; the 12h00 and 14h00 feeds in the I&J Ocean Exhibit; and the 15h00 shark feeds in the Predator Exhibit on Sundays.
Members also receive special invites to exlusive behind-the-scenes events and preferred rates for public events and other Aquarium experiences.
So, while we don’t ask you strange questions when you become a member, isn’t it good to know that your membership does buy so much more than just visits to the Aquarium? It is something that lasts even when you’ve left the building ... And that’s worth every cent!