Vacancy: Quarantine Intern
The Two Oceans Aquarium’s Curatorial Department is offering an internship within our quarantine team. The individual will have an opportunity to work closely with the Aquarium's animal health team and assist with the day-to-day running of the quarantine facility. The ideal candidate will be a hardworking, and good team player displaying the high levels of energy and enthusiasm necessary for this exciting position. The intern will be reporting directly to the Senior Quarantine Aquarist.
- Assisting with housing and caring for new, sick, or injured animals in the Aquarium’s quarantine facility.
- Feeding of all quarantined animals – understanding diets/habits of different fish.
- Assisting with prophylactic treatments.
- Assisting with fish moves.
- Assisting in animal procedures conducted by the designated veterinarian.
- Assisting with the daily hygiene practices and maintenance of life support systems.
- Assist with record keeping of feeding and treatments.
- ZIMS training and record keeping.
- Demonstration of a strong interest in and empathy for marine animals in an aquarium.
- Able to respond quickly to changing priorities.
- Able to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Enthusiastic, energetic, level-headed and a good team player.
- Ability to work flexible hours including weekends and public holidays on a roster system.
- Strong organisational skills and an active interest in personal skills development.
- Candidate must be physically fit, and able to lift up to 25kg in weight.
In addition, the following would be advantageous:
- Tertiary qualification in Conservation, and/or Biological Sciences, marine science or similar.
- Previous animal husbandry experience.
Salary: To be discussed at interview
Starting date: As soon as possible
Preference will be given to candidates who will add to the diversity of our organization. The Aquarium reserves the right not to make an appointment in the event that no suitable candidates apply for the position as advertised.
Interested applicants must email a maximum 2-page CV with a covering letter of motivation to email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: 30 November 2023.
If no response is received within 14 days after the closing date, candidates should regard
their application as unsuccessful.