The Two Oceans Aquarium is a certified Platinum member of the Heritage Environmental Rating Programme. Platinum status is the highest level of achievement in this internationally recognised eco-labelling programme, and indicates that a facility is continually striving to reduce the impact of its operations on the environment and on local communities. The Aquarium is currently one of only three Platinum-status facilities in the Western Cape.
The Two Oceans Aquarium Environmental Charter
The Two Oceans Aquarium aims to raise awareness of environmental issues and promote conservation. We believe that it is imperative that we lead by example, and ensure that we actively strive to reduce the impact of our operations on the environment.
We, at the Two Oceans Aquarium, are committed to:
- Achieving sound environmental practices across our entire operation
- Complying fully with all environmental legislation
- Minimising our use of energy, water and materials
- Minimising our waste and reducing, recycling and reusing the resources we consume, wherever practical
- Encouraging our staff, volunteers, visitors, suppliers and contractors to participate in our efforts to reduce our impact on the environment
- Working with others in industry, in education, in public agencies and the broader community to achieve wider environmental goals
- Providing all our employees with the training and resources required to meet our objectives
- Communicating our policies and practices to interested parties
- Monitoring and recording our environmental impacts on a regular basis, and having our performance independently audited against our environmental management system
The Two Oceans Aquarium was designed using low-tech and energy-efficient systems. We've found new ways to reduce our overall consumption and use more renewable energy.
With recycle bins throughout the aquarium, and our own on-site sorting facility, we are reducing the amount of waste we produce in a number of interesting ways.
From waterless urinals in our gents’ loos, to online monitoring systems, our water consumption is being carefully reduced.
We support organisations like Reach for a Dream, Big Brothers Big Sisters and Habitat for Humanity, and we offer complimentary tickets to schools for fundraising efforts.
We carefully check the environmental credentials of our suppliers and contractors, and we ensure that the products we use at the Aquarium are not harming the planet.
Raising awareness of environmental and social issues among staff and volunteers is paramount. We also participate in initiatives such as the African Penguin Waddle, Earth Hour and International Coastal Cleanup Day.
This certifies that the Two Oceans Aquarium is part of the Heritage Environmental Rating Programme and that it currently complies with the environmental performance standards associated with Platinum status. The Two Oceans Aquarium Environmental Charter (181 KB)